Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 24, 2009

One-Hour Postal Swim

Not quite as painful as a cold, long, fast run...but infinitely more boring. Pretty much like being the ping-pong ball between the walls in some evil, cosmic game. The black line doesn't really move, it becomes impossible to keep counting and I literally ran out of things to think about. I only choked once - which was absolutely hilarious - and only had a fairly short section in the middle where all swimming form when completely out the window. I'm pretty sure that during that time I had more wiggle in my hips than a hula dancer. My brain quit cooperating with my shoulders which entirely quit cooperating with my hips and head.

Anyway, one hour, only put one foot down to cough once, swam 4250 yards. That's just over the full IM distance, but includes walls and no wetsuit. So...whatever. I think that I could hit swimming goals as long as this form and these lungs show up to the game. These shoulders, on the other hand, aren't so happy and would like to be left at home. They have also expressly requested ice to be ready if I plan to do anything like that again...

All of the splits are fairly consistent around :42. I start and end with :39, and have a lot of :41 and :43 in there....slowest was about :47 (cap, coughing, or swimsuit fixing).

I'm thrilled overall - think with some adequate sleep and nutrition and consistent prep I can drop some more time (weight) and continue improvement. Now...ice, ice cream and freaking sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment