Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 11, 2009

Ice Skating x2

So yesterday started with a nice 6.3mi run at a domestic 10min pace. We actually started out around 9:30s or so....but then we started running on ice, and since I was running further than I've run in a couple of months I figured walk breaks might be a good idea.

I woke up to the end of the rain dying out to a drizzle. Temp around 35 degrees with a little breeze. I tried valiantly to weasel out of the run to no avail. We ran on the Monon, so a nice fairly flat surface. There were spots where a light sheen of ice was over the trail, so we wound up taking a lot of it pretty easy. I spent a lot of time looking like Wylie E Coyote - my feet were doing the running thing but I wasn't really going anywhere. I can say that running on ice is a fairly good exercise in high recovery....your foot shoots off the ice and almost up to your butt. Anyway, with just a light mist in the air - it wasn't a bad run. Just a learning experience, not too painful and no falls.

I've definitely felt better when running before...my chest was a bit tight and my legs got pretty tired. Mostly just getting back into it I think, and probably running a bit off of my comfort form...but not too bad altogether. I was fairly damp when I got done, something I hadn't really noticed. It took about an hour to warm up. But no problems overall.

Went ice skating last night with Tanya and her kids...hilarious. I didn't fall, despite the kid's best efforts, they learned a quick lesson from Sir Newton. Gravity + Laws of Motion = I'm heavier and stronger than the 12 and 8 year olds. (Insert evil laugh here) But it was much fun and I survived - only some slightly sore shoulders today from the occasional panicked flailing.

I'm hoping today to either spend some time on the bike or maybe dip in the pool for awhile. But I will settle for cleaning the house and taking down Christmas decorations....

No comments:

Post a Comment