Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 25, 2009

Iceberg Running

I'm still chilly, so this will be short. Plus I'm going to go buy a pair of long underwear and get dinner. I'm not entirely sure that my feet will get warm again for a few hours, so ok.

We chose to run outside today - I'm not entirely sure what made me think that would be ok. I didn't really look at the temp or the weather, just knew I wanted to run and get out of the house. And so we did.

And I froze.

I didn't notice the cold too much until we were really far into the run. My belly got cold (wasn't wearing a form-fitting base layer) and my chin got cold...my hips were the last thing that I noticed were numb. When we got back, Tanya commented that my jacket was soaked through (proof of the wicking power of the Pearl shirt and the jacket) which was just gross.

My legs got tight and started to hurt around mile 7-8. But nothing unmanageable. Went 10.5mi total - longest run since Silverman. Took 1:54, so we weren't pushing too terribly hard, especially since we were running on about 1/2in. of snow.

Anyway....I got way too cold. It didn't really sink in until I got home - red skin, started itching - I'm used to all that from cycling and from when I was kid and it wasn't REALLY sledding until you were too cold to move. I was having major issues though...couldn't feel parts, WAY redder than i thought I should be and then the itching started. I try to not itch - I've put holes in my skin before. So...I jumped in the shower fairly quickly and ripped through the entire volume of hot water. Somehow started shivering uncontrollably and knew I was still way too cold. Threw on layers of fleece and a hoodie and jumped into bed under as many covers as possible. Took my temp and was shocked to read 96.6F. Hunkered down and finally started to get warm within about 30 minutes.

Stupid. I enjoyed the run, but need to figure out how to stay warmer and what I'm doing wrong. Until then, my limit may go back to about 20 - 25 degrees.

1 comment:

FLATOUT JIM said...

I hate peeling off 5 layers and 20lbs of sweat soaked gear after a winter run. Of course we could all move to Florida, but I don't think we would appreciate the Grande Double Expresso Latte.

Keep up the work. Summer is just around the corner.

Post a Comment