Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 6, 2010

Year in Review...

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? A standalone marathon

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolution, and will you make more for next year? I typically don't make resolutions. I just want to be happy and grow a bit each year (preferably growing emotionally/spiritually/mentally, not physically)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I don't think so....but it's been a long year.

4. Did anyone close to you die? I think everyone I know has lost someone(s) close this year. I lost only Gfell. We weren't as close as we should've been.

5. What countries did you visit? Only the US, though I might've flown over a tiny parcel of Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? A good race or two, more mental and physical strength, more happiness and more fun!

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 25th taught me I wasn't invincible (bike wreck), May 3rd taught me I CAN do anything I set my mind to (marathon), Sept. 12th taught me to do the things I've always wanted to do (Big Shoulders) and Sept. 18th taught me that it's ok to be happy (though I didn't know it at the time).

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Surviving the work consolidation is pretty high up there, but completing that marathon is pretty far up on the list, too.

9. What was your biggest failure? My relationship. Managing my own stress levels. Saving money. Training w/dedication.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Hella. Bike wreck on 4/25...drop a buck fifty straight onto the lower back/pelvis and see what happens. I can tell you this much, it sure ruins the marathon the next weekend. You also see stars for a day or so and you have trouble walking for about a month. Note to self: no need to bomb down hills anymore...nothing to prove.

11. What was the best thing you bought? My new bike would have to be the most expensive thing I bought...the gas for the trips south would be the "best". The trip to DC would be the most enriching.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? NB & SI, who pushed through some pretty impressive obstacles to finish and enjoy IMLOU. TS, who hung with me through the Pig and didn't let me quit. DM, who had the ability to recognize our problems and let go w/o fighting. GL for gutting it out and giving it up in NV. NC, for opening up to let himself love. B&G for giving and loving....everyone has done something worth celebrating. Human nature really is good and beautiful at times.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My own at times, others' at times. There is a flip side to every coin. Whenever we act in jealousy, anger, spite or sheer meanness, it is depressing.

14. Where did most of your money go? Food and entry fees. What irony that is. Oh, and that bike.

15. What did you get really excited about? I was STOKED about that marathon. Also about the vacations, the training, the client possibilities, the responsibility at work, swimming, THE NEW BIKE and the ability to train hard....alas I fell short on some of them, but still...

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? "I Got a Feelin'" by the Peas....made the last 5 minutes of IMLOU amazing and in one moment signified the awe that IM inspires and the strength it takes and how quickly that finish line and a buncha screamin' people can wipe away 15 hours of suffering...going back to the strength and beauty of humanity.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? Immensely happier
- thinner or fatter? I've got some chubbiness working, but it's been fairly earned. This time last year I was still close to Silverman....
- richer or poorer? Overall, about the same. Upon further examination I am poorer, no thanks to the poop people.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Laughed, ran, loved, watched

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worked, stressed, cried, hurt

20. How did you spend Christmas? With the longest stay with my parents in almost 10 years. With my closest (only) family and hopefully starting new traditions that last a long while.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009? In and out and In....It should be a continuous cycle in my mind, never a static (stagnant?) "state". You don't have to love constantly and it should both wax and wane, but never disappear entirely. I loved deeply and hurt deeply. I learned much. Now I am learning to be happy first, worry about "love" second. We should always love.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Favorite...ha. Biggest Loser, Criminal Minds, Sing Off, Top Chef, Numb3rs....there are many I like to watch, I'm equally attached to all of them.

23. Do you hate anyone that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don't like to hate. There are people I like much less, people I respect much less, but I don't know that I really hate. There's only one person I can say I "hate" - and he's not even worth worrying about. God's in charge of that.

24. What was the best book you read? Jeez...I read too much to answer this one. Merle's Door was way up there...so was The Art of Racing in the Rain. There's been much good reading this year.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? REdiscovering OAR, continuing to discover the Mummies, and the ever-present but with a new album Dave...music is good.

26. What did you want and get? I got exactly what I needed and exactly what I deserved. I wanted more than I can ever have. Exactly as it should be. I finished the marathon, got the consolidation work done, met most deadlines and got happier

27. What did you want and not get? A tough one. I wanted happiness with one, am finding it with another. But I don't think that's bad now, we're all growing because of it. I wanted to rock Steelhead and I didn't, but I learned I have to develop some more discipline and strength. I wanted to rock that marathon and I didn't, but I finished and that took more than enough. I guess I wanted more than I deserved, and since I didn't get it, in those cases it was just.

28. What was your favorite film this year? Because it was the most recent and the one I remember, Sherlock Holmes.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 29 (but not 30!) I don't believe it was anything special. The customary reflection time and a lot of work. I believe much fun came a few days later. Unbeknownst to me, I got an early birthday present that's taken awhile to materialize.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Not wrecking that bike and achieving my athletic goals.

31. How would you describe your personal concept in 2009? Ingratitude.

32. What kept you sane? Debatable if anything did. The outlets I did have through athletics and invaluable friendships.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hmm...I don't know, honestly.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? The debacle that is healthcare reform.

35. Who did you miss? Those that I wasn't with.

36. Who was the best new person you met? The one that goes out of his way to make me happy...a ridiculously easy answer, but I met many others that have touched and enriched my life immeasurably.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Sometimes I have to bear down and just push through it. Might not always be fun but it (whatever "it" is) can be accomplished with hard work and determination. I am not invincible, but I am not afraid of hard work.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Hmm...have to think on this one awhile.

1 comment:

Brittaney said...

Are we B&G... for giving and loving? If so, awe shucks... And you should probably spend a little more time with us before you think we're so loving-JK!

Post a Comment