Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 11, 2010

A cold run

Went for 6.4 yesterday in sub-20 degrees. I don't mind running in the cold, it's kind of nice to have some solitude and the crunch-crunch of shoes on snow isn't bad at all. The whistling in my nose, however, is darn-near enough to make me go crazy. But...there are some ground rules that I've found I need to obey or else I pay for it. I MUST dress in layers and have more than 1 layer on almost all of my body. It's key for me to cover my shins in 2 layers for some odd reason. Yesterday's run involved ski socks...extra cushion for my feet and quality covering on both my calves and shins. Win, win! I MUST immediately take off any wet or cold clothes as soon as I get home. I've got a pretty standard 30-45min time period where my body temp comes back to normal - be it too high in the summer or too low in the winter. It's a fairly painful period full of shivering and being cold (regardless of season), it's key that I get out of anything wet and into warm and dry and just huddle. I usually wait to stretch until after the shivering...which usually involves me getting in the shower. I also need to have something over my mouth when it's cold and running so breathing is a bit easier. I'm fairly sure that, with these things done, I can pretty much run in anything. Now whether I do or not.......another story.

Yesterday's run was ok. My gait changes on snow/ice and that causes issues with the knees/hips. More running usually alleviates this and I'll be fine. Wearing my trail shoes created a slight problem on the ball of my foot but I'm sure I can figure something out there, too. It was nice to get out and stretch my legs. It's better if I don't sit around all day before doing so...but it was still good to do nonetheless.

6.4mi, 1:08:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment