Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

January 19, 2010

Monday....

So a nice little run at the gym, eh? And a bit of weights too, just for fun. Since I'm trying to do this type of thing consistently I should kinda try to be consistent about it - whether or not I have supervision and/or entertainment. So Monday....I get home fairly early from an "appointment" (thumbs up on the new place, ps....) and figure I might as well get the job done. I hem-hawed around the house a bit and finally just decided to quit being a wimp and GO!

I wanted to run about 3...nothing too strenuous, nothing too serious, just putting in some time on the treadmill. One plan says 30-40min "easy recovery run", one plan says 3mi at a stupidly slow pace. I figure I'll just go with the flow. I hop on the treadmill - after narrowly escaping having to throw-down to claim the machine from LA Fitness Barbie - and start my little warm-up walk. Easy-peasy, after 5min I ease into the 5.5mph easy jog. I bumped that to 5.7 after awhile - I just almost hurt on a treadmill at 5.5mph. 5.7 is more comfy and almost that pace where I can just chug along forever. But what's that you say? The body feels good? Let's go then a bit....bumped up to 6.0 for awhile and then finished with a couple minutes at 6.2. I was chugging at the end - that's not exactly a really comfortable pace after about 35 minutes or so. But, it felt good to put in some quality effort, to focus down on my form for a bit and just not think. I was a sweaty beast, but I think I ran the pants off of Barbie, who was a few machines over....

I eyed the weight floor with trepidation and an annoyed smirk for awhile as I walked to TRY to get my heart rate down from the ceiling (I was at 191bpm when I stopped running...looks like true-to-form my HR is still really high when I run...) - the meatheads were lifting in full force. I just don't really enjoy the meathead mentality...I'm sure they're GREAT guys, but the parade around and talk to all the chicks, work your shoulders for hours with toothpick legs...really? I just don't have much patience for them. ESPECIALLY when they're sitting/resting/taking up space on the ONE machine I want to start with....leg extensions. So I jumbled around the whole process and lifted, being ogled a bit and stared at a bit and just in generally made a bit uncomfortable. Not sure if I was overcompensating a bit but I lifted harder (re: more weight) than I have been (not a bad thing) and just suffered a bit. It felt good to know that I'm doing something proactively, by myself, to not only show up this year but possibly even improve my abilities.

Remember....the key word is CONSISTENCY.

No comments:

Post a Comment