Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

November 25, 2008

Pre Race....

(as previously mentioned...I'll post the full-blown race report on here in chunks...)

Pre-Race: Gary’s alarm went off at 3:30, making the most atrociously annoying sound, and was met with an impressive threat and scowl. (The intended 9p bedtime the night before had come and gone and I’m not sure that we went to sleep until about 11. Knowing the consequences of staying awake, it was still hard to shut up and sleep. Apparently, though, I was able to do just that and was snoring within minutes. Since I’m sure I don’t snore, I’m convinced it was just Gar hearing himself, because he was certainly making noise all night.) After I threatened Gar’s alarm and shut the others off, I managed to get the race gear on and put a couple more layers on to stay warm. Checked through the bags one more time to make sure nothing was leaking and everything was packed and it was off to the shuttles. A good 20 minute ride on a dark bus as you’re getting ready to take on one of your biggest goals isn’t exactly soothing. Text messages flying between Indiana and Nevada, however, helped a bit as Dan proffered the last-minute encouragement I apparently needed.

Stepping off the shuttle onto the boat ramp I quickly realized that the temperature wasn’t nearly as cold as had been expected and I started peeling off layers. (Remember this, it becomes important later…) I filled the bento box on my way past the bike, dropped off the special needs bags, grabbed my shoes, socks, glasses and helmet out of the T1 bag and put those on the bike and just hung out for awhile. I was watching others get their stuff ready and noticed that the wind was gusting and swirling at a fairly decent clip. It was about that time I heard someone mention a 20mph sustained wind forecast. I have fairly good bike-handling skills on a normal day, but riding on borrowed 404’s in heavy winds could be another story. Ah well, no sense worrying, at least everyone has the same wind, right?

Hung around a bit, soaking in the moment (Holy shit…I’m really getting ready to do an Ironman…ohboyohboyohboy), then started the blur of getting in to the wetsuit and getting my dry clothes turned in and getting everything locked and loaded. Anyone that knows me and had witnessed it knows that the “Wetsuit Dance” is funnier than it should be. It involves much dancing, bending, stretching and “oomphing” – this day did not disappoint.

As I headed out into the water listening to everyone shiver I thought about how great it felt – I was actually getting ready to do this thing...The sun was looking like it was getting ready to peak over the hills, the wind didn’t feel too bad, the shoulders were feeling good and the stomach was calm. I was standing just a few people back in the water anticipating a good swim and being able to jump out in front. Got a good laugh out of Race Director Frank trying to get away from the air horn Dave Scott was aiming at him and then it was go time….

No comments:

Post a Comment