Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

November 1, 2008

How to ruin a weekend....for four.

Not directly related to the race, but worthy of posting as it has affected the taper training and will most likely take a couple more days to recover.

Went to the "Here Come the Mummies" concert last night at the Vogue. For the record, one of my favorite bands. Yes, they're a bit odd, but they're incredibly fun and I'm devoted. Not the smartest thing to do - go to a concert in a smoky bar and stand and jump around for a few hours. Whatever. Dressed comfortably, had good friends and a good time. Leaving the concert right afterward (around 12:45) I learned that someone had parked TOO CLOSE to my car - and hit the front bumper, cracking it. Called Dan and got IMPD number and called it in - first call to dispatch at 12:54. Since the car was still there (STILL THERE!!!) and I've listened to Dan discuss enough times how much more they can do when everything is still there I decided to wait and deal with it. Snapped a few photos with the camera since I had it. Waiting...waiting...waiting...saw a police car just around the corner and talked to the guy - said he had to wait for the tow truck for that car but if no one else had shown up by the time he was done he would help me. (Note: I specifically asked this guy if he could help me. He said he would if there wasn't anyone else. This becomes important later.) Cool. I describe the car and where we are and walk back. Tow truck comes and goes, still no cop. During this time I'm also trying to flag down any other passing cars (per instruction from Dan) with no success. I figure you know, it's Halloween, they've got bigger issues and I understand that. I go back around the corner since the tow's gone to see if the cop is done. Bastard is gone! Had to go out of his way to turn around and go the other way to avoid me. Shithead. So I continue the saga.....trying to flag down...calling Dan and whining...getting colder and colder...still standing outside (in scrubs, a tank top and a lab coat - I did have gloves though) and freezing. I called dispatch back and was told the standard "Someone's on their way..." a couple more times. (Turns out there was a robbery and someone shot during this time - so I do understand things being busy and slow...I really do.) I finally called Dan again at about 2:45 crying and pissed. An officer from another district arrives shortly and gets things rolling - no less than 30 seconds after the chick arrives back at her car insisting that she didn't back into my car and she even had someone watching her back up. Note: This does NOT change the fact that she was entirely parked on the yellow curb. The front foot and a half of my car was on yellow....but that's another story) So....crash report written, information taken, yada yada yada....we get on the road to home at about 3:45.

Turns out schmuck ass IMPD officer literally got on the radio to dispatch and said, "I'm not taking another report up here, get another officer down here to help," and went back to his own district. And...that was the second time last night he did that crap. So...I called and spoke with the supervisor (at 4:50a) and was assured that he would be spoken to (again) and that the dude is just a jackass and his behaviour was "unacceptable bullshit." I wasn't really going to push it much further than that and file a formal complaint, everyone is entitled to a bad day and I'm not really about getting people in trouble. Was feeling the same way about the chick and the bumper...i wouldn't be stupid enough if I hit a car to actually park in that same space, so maybe it wasn't her, or maybe she didn't know she hit me, the damage isn't really awful, yada yaday yada...I was then reminded that I am a bit of a softie and quick to forgive and that's not necessarily a good thing. I work hard for my car and I love it, it's new and someone damaged my property (and the officer believes that it WAS her that hit it). Likewise, if the scmuck did that crap to me, and someone else that same night, what's the likelihood that he does it all the time and hello - your badge says IMPD not SOUTH DISTRICT. I've never been a big fan of anyone saying "that's not my job" and maybe someone should stand up for the little guy and remind the prick of what his job really is - to help the public.

So I finally got to sleep at about 5:20a....and I was worried about jumping around for a couple of hours on my feet. Hmm...guess I didn't anticipate standing outside in the chilly weather on my feet for another 2.5 hours in addition to that, in the middle of the night. Needless to say my legs are a bit trashed, I didn't eat dinner, didn't have nearly enough water, stood jumping around in a smoky bar for a long time and was way too close to too many people. I've slept most of the day - completely cancelled my 1.5hr run (might spin out my legs here in a bit just to move some) and have tried to get my body rehydrated and back on track for tomorrow.

And I woke up angry. This putz might have saved himself about 20 - 30 minutes (but did later learn that he was called back up to the Ripple at about the time I got to leave to take a crash report....karma's a bitch.) and in doing so effectively ruined 4 people's weekends. Noah had to be at work at 8a, Kate's kids were coming home at 8:30 and have a full schedule for the rest of the weekend, Nick intended to build a fence today. Not to mention that he put in jeopardy something that I've been working towards for months (if he can be selfish, I can too). Even if it doesn't go anywhere and nothing gets done, I'll be following up with the supervisor again this evening to find out how the conversation went and file a formal complaint. If it does nothing else, maybe he needs a "time out" to think about what the point of his damn job is.

So that's how one little guy ruined a weekend for at least four - and maybe someone else ruined a weekend (or insurance policy) for an unsuspecting girl who just happened to park in the wrong spot. In my selfishness - I'm sincerely hoping the weekend is all that's affected and I can stay healthy and get back on track with food, rest and the race will still be fine.

stupid broad ripple.

No comments:

Post a Comment