Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

November 25, 2008

I'm just going to sit here and have a bit of a cry...ok?

T2: I wandered into the tent in a bit of a daze. I wasn’t in any hurry to get out of there, having not decided if I could do the run or not, and just sat down and told the super sweet volunteer lady that “I was just going to have a bit of a cry now,” if she didn’t mind. She told me that was perfectly find and asked me if I was cold. I took a few minutes (18, to be exact) to get myself together and relax a bit. I knew the marathon was going to be ugly and while I still wasn’t convinced I could do it, I was sure that I could plod along for awhile and could make the final decision halfway through. There was a young girl that was very talkative and funny and she helped me feel a bit better about the world in general.

This was clearly the lowest point of the whole thing for me. My body hurt, my mind hurt from being alone for so long and it was starting to get dark-ish. I had made the cutoff in plenty of time (it was around 2:30, cutoff was 5p) but I just was having major doubts. I kept thinking about all the people that were thinking of me and everyone that’s helped me and I knew I couldn’t give up – I had to at least try. So a gel later, some stretching, some tears, some whining and a little bit of water and off I went….to run further than I’ve ever run before, after biking further than I’ve ever biked with more climbing than I’ve ever climbed…..easy, right? I had the slowest T2 time of anyone in the race (which doesn’t make me happy) but I managed to fight off some pretty big demons. T2 – 18:44

No comments:

Post a Comment