Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

March 11, 2010

Not Worrying & Being Happy

I'm SHAMELESSLY stealing from Mark Remy's blog. I think it's a message that we all should re-read. I know I needed the message.

There are real stressors. Last night's run (5.8mi, 1hr) started out kind of painful. So did Monday's. I rushed home both nights, immediately changed clothes & away we went. It wasn't too terribly relaxing, for the first 30 minutes or so. They both ended ok, last night's core work at the gym (where our run ended, we walked from the gym to the house afterwards as a bit of "cool down") wasn't as hard as it's been in the past & it'll all turn out ok. But the looming Pig & Costa, the race a couple of weeks ago & the fact that I'm still not really looking forward to getting on my bike....well....they're kinda stressful if I let them be....so I'm going to take Mark Remy's approach.

But you know what? I’ve decided not to worry anymore. I’ve decided to be happy.

My inspiration for turning this particular corner: Mr. Bobby McFerrin, who turns 60 years old today and who is probably celebrating by relaxing in some loose cotton pants as he rocks gently back and forth and hums his trademark tune, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy.”
The Don’t Worry, Be Happy approach has lots of real-life applications, both in running and in, well, real life. For instance…

This weekend’s long run is going to be so long. And hilly. And hurt-y. I’m already feeling it in my quads.
Don’t Worry: Relax. It’s nothing you haven’t done before. And that hurt means you’re making progress and getting stronger. It’s called training, champ.
Be Happy: Won’t it be nice after the run to take a shower, make some pancakes, and plop down with the Sunday paper? Ahhh.

I’ve been training so long for this race. What if I miss my goal by a lot? Or, worse, by a little?
Don’t Worry: Relax. There will be other races, and other goals. And any goal that you’re guaranteed to attain isn’t much of a goal, is it?
Be Happy: At least you’re healthy and strong enough to be racing in the first place. Many, many people out there are not. You’re one of the lucky ones.

Isn’t this blog post awfully similar in structure and tone to that treadmill one from a few weeks ago?
Don’t Worry: Relax. Stop living in the past, man.
Be Happy: Uh… Hey, look… cute puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment