Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

December 7, 2009

Concept: Debunking the long run

This article (Running Times) might just reinforce what I've been thinking all along. There might be more value to consistency over volume. I am naturally suspicious of running only 3 times/wk in training for a marathon. This is all the Runner's World Smart Coach tells me I need, and was reinforced by a local running guru whose sage advice I trust. Yet, as someone who had it pounded into my head that one day off a week was sufficient, one day off a week was necessary, and that one could benefit and thrive with one day off a week, I found myself slapped in the face with this. You mean I can be an athlete with only three days a week? (We'll ignore that little "XT" that exists on the SmartCoach plans, telling me that it's ok to cross-train. I'm not quite sure they realize what we mean by "cross-train" anyway....a 30-40mi bike ride?? A hard swim workout?? Or an elliptical session with some aerobics?)

During the IM training and the Mary training, I did one 20 mile run. ONE. And I vowed, as I spent the next 3-4 days worthlessly wasted with sore, crampy muscles and some solid joint pain, that I would never do another. I will do back-to-back 13s, or back-to-back 10s, whatever it takes, but 20 miles on my body does as much harm as good. Kevin Hanson nails my thought process when he says "The body thrives on consistency," in the above-linked article. I have residual fitness like a mo-fo, and have proven that I can pick up after a ridiculous amount of laziness and pop out a 6mile run (or even a 12.5 for the especially stupid moment). I don't feel great and it may do as much damage as the dreaded 20, but it speaks to residual fitness. With solid and consistent training, I tend to pick back up into the routine fairly quickly and get to where I can "feel good" relateively soon.

But holding a nice scheduled 3x/wk run and gradually building about 10%/wk yields a nice, predictable schedule around which it is easy to work in swimming (and pepper in some biking if necessary). A more consistent schedule of 5-6 runs/wk makes anything else much more difficult. As a multi-sport athlete I would have to shift and make it work for me. Both structures contain nearly the same volume, one just spreads it out more.

It's worth considering as I look at these schedules. It's also worth noting, however, that the Hansons prefer a 20 week lead, whereas I currently have about 12. I have no intentions on running a 20 unless I'm training for an Ultra (kiss it, never) or running in a marathon. But, with it being the time of year that makes cycling totally unappealing (1"of snow on the ground this morning, more coming Wednesday and Friday) and swimming an exercise in freezing and illness avoidance, what better time to work on consistently running?

I recommend to all the purchase of Brooks and Asics stock. If Mama's going to spend more time outside hoofin' it, Mama's gotta be warm. One pair of fleece tights won't cut it. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment