Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

July 17, 2009

We are a sick population...

I'll never say I'm super-skinny. I won't even say I'm skinny. I'm cool with what I am and I know that I'm a fairly healthy person. I'm a tad curvy and sure if you look at all the books and charts and whatnot I could stand to lose a few but my body is apparently very happy right where it is. I weigh 163lbs....I've weighed between 158 and 163 now since mid-December. Despite marathon training, feast and famine...my body is pleased with right around here. And I'm not too displeased. We all have these insane notions embedded into our heads bred from Barbie childhoods and supermodel America. But you know what? I'm not buying it anymore and I think if I weighed much less I wouldn't look good. I have big bones too, dude! Anyway....point of this paragraph: I'm pretty pleased with where I'm at and I know it isn't too far one way or the other.

But WOW...I look around and all I see are these really big people. BIG people. I mean, whoa, big people. Now, if you live a decent life and you make healthy decisions, I understand that there are things beyond our control. You have babies - your body changes. Your body has a different purpose and that's cool, it adjusts. You get older - your body changes. Your body again has a different purpose (no longer the instinctual mission of being THE hunter/gatherer or protector) and that's cool, it adjusts. But we have an issue here - we reinforce the changes and allow them to happen by reinforcing our poor decisions with bad eating and sedentary lifetstyles. Ever wonder how much of life you're REALLY missing by watching the world go by from the sofa or behind the computer monitor or in front of the PS3? Or how much of the enjoyment is being taken out of food by eating it while we drive constantly and not taking the time to think about it?

I just wonder - with all the shows like Biggest Loser and Ruby and whatever other "Fat People" shows you can imagine - whether we as a society and world are bringing the appropriate light to celebrate people making positive changes, or celebrating the poor decisions that necessitate change in the first place?

I applaud people making any sort of "positive" decision towards their health - be you skinny, chubby, yellow or blue - whatever. A healthy decision is a healthy decision and that's a good thing for any and everyone. But as I stood in the parking garage looking out the window waiting on the elevator (7th floor - shin splints, excuses yes, but also 2/3 of a half-Ironman last weekend, kiss it) after getting chewed out by the 2 "larger" ladies who actually had to walk around the front of my car and step up on the curb with the stroller instead of the handicap ramp, I just saw all these BIG people walking to the office buildings. Every single person was big save for the ONE guy that was jogging down the sidewalk - playing dodge'em with the chubbies.

It's mean and I'm sorry, but come on society - straighten up. Don't bitch about the fat kids if you're not willing to lose a few and make the right decisions yourselves. Go walk with your kids, take a hike, park out in the parking lot further, take the stairs, print to the far printer, stop smoking, drink another glass of water instead of soda, hell - eat a vegetable, PUT DOWN THE FRIED FOOD AND STEP AWAY, maybe even just take a deep breath of fresh air. And about that "pain" of going to the gym and working out? That's your body thanking you for giving it the opportunity to live. Yeah, it hurts or is at least a little uncomfortable to workout sometimes. IT"S SUPPOSED TO BE.

Can you imagine how skinny I would be if I didn't enjoy eating so much? Life doesn't have to be about depravity, just about balance. I'm just sad about it, about losing all of these people. I'm hoping that something changes. If not, survival of the fittest yo.

And if I pissed you off - yeah, I'm rude. Yeah, I'm crass. Yeah, I'm blunt and honest. But you know what? I'm healthy. Go step on a scale or take a look at your workout log and then let's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment