Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

December 4, 2008

Drumsticks & Dashing...

So that run, on Thanksgiving morning, almost killed me.
Not really, it wasn't too awful with the exception of mile 3, but there were some lessons learned that day.

-Don't run "easy" with LaCrosse. It's not easy. Her "easy" isn't my "easy".
-Don't run in the cold. I don't care what you hardcore runners say, it was freaking cold. Anything below 45 makes my lungs unhappy.
-If there's ever a question, wear the Gaiter, or the balaclava, or something to put over your nose and mouth. If you're thinking about it, it won't hurt you. If you turn into a running sauna, that's ok too. No one ever dies from heat exhaustion when it's 45 degrees outside.
-Taking the gloves off is a bad idea. I don't care if my fingers are getting sweaty, it's not a good thing to expend energy on. I spent 4.5 miles taking them off and putting them right back on. Just push up your sleeves a bit.
-If a walker lines up in the 7 minute corral, they deserve to be elbowed, tripped, kicked in the ankles, and whatever else comes their way. If it's a 7-minute runner with a stroller running a 7 pace, they deserve a pat on the back.
-Proposals at athletic events are cool. I need to see if I can arrange one of those, only without the marriage part.
-Running 4.5 miles in the morning is a great way to start Thanksgiving. Re-emphasizes the good fortune that we all have to be together and be Thankful for our abilities, even if it is frigging cold.

..and it makes the turkey taste better. (Unless you ran faster than you've ever run before - a whopping 8:53 pace - at which point it's roughly 2:30p before eating sounds good. Shut up asses, I know it's slow.)

I'm planning on Dashing again next year....if it's warmer.

2 comments:

IRONFINN said...

Great job on your ironman. I read (actually) your whole race report and it found it very entertaining. I'm registered for my 1st in Aug 09 so I'm trying to read up as much as possible....and I agree with your comment about walkers at the drumstick dash, nothing like slamming on the brakes because 10 people thought it would be cool to WALK side by side..

IRONFINN said...

Could I ask you some questions about training and the race? I'm trying to plan out my "official" training plan and could use a finisher's opinion..the reason I'm asking first is because I have like 10 questions..

Post a Comment