Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

May 3, 2010

Flying Pig - Mini-RR

This about sums it up....it was a long, slow day in Cincinnati. (The picture is actually from a work trip a few weeks ago - wildlife encounters abound...the car in the back is our rental that the night prior smashed itself into a deer. But the picture is apt for the marathon...) It started off really soggy & never really dried up much. We were plagued by some stomach issues (not mine) & foot issues (both of us). I think the feet was mostly because they had been so wet for so long. Either way, I'm not thrilled with the time, but we get credit for gutting it out & finishing. I felt loads better than I did last year all the way through - I was the cheerleader this year (surprise, surprise) & am not feeling too bad today. My quads are a bit trashed & my feet are achy. I popped all the blisters & am hoping they do their thing & go away. Oddly enough my right shoulder is a bit sore, too. Not sure where that comes from or why, but it's not bad. Just overall fatigue but nothing major. I'll be back at it in a couple of days. I will do another marathon. I will put more consistency into the training, possibly choosing a bit flatter course. I will also show up on race day with the expectation that I will run hard & I need to run for myself. Whatever I hoped to "answer" yesterday was not answered or proven. We gutted it out & I'm proud of that (how many people in the world can say they could/would/have done multiple marathons?), but I have higher expectations. I can't say I'm disappointed to have finished another marathon - I give lectures about things like that! But I know I can do better, and I will.
Hell, when your last two miles of a marathon are less than a minute off of your overall best splits (9:00 miles) - whether running to "get it the hell over with" or not - you know there's more in the tank & that you can deliver a better result. Next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment