Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day
Vacation Fun

October 30, 2008

50 lb. Weight Limit - Checked Bags....yeah, right.

So pizza and breadsticks for lunch probably isn't on the pre-race diet for optimal performance, but I'm making these rules up as I go. The machine needs fuel....higher the octane (read: grease/fat/carb content) the better, eh? Well then, screw you all. It was good, it was my first (ok, maybe my second, the mac'n'cheese dinner last night probably isn't on there either...) transgression (of the week) and I did drink a ton of water this morning.

Speaking of "things you need"....if you ever consider an Ironman (or have ever listened to me whine about how much crap I've "neeeeeeeded" to acquire), here's part of the "official list" of things to launder, pack, ship, buy, steal or otherwise utilize on race day:

-Wetsuit
-Shorts to wear under wetsuit (for cycling)
-Sports bra/top to wear under wetsuit
-Goggles (cap is provided - so I saved $.80)
-Bike (singly THE most expensive thing - outside of my house and car - that I own)
-Race Wheels (borrowed from one very nice accomplice to insanity)
-AeroDrink Bottle (aerodynamic water bottle on my bars)
-4-5 other bottles (for bike and bags at various points on course - does not include bottles of water that will be obtained at "rest stops"
-Cycling socks
-Tri shoes (for bike)
-Sunglasses (please God don't let me forget the sunglasses)
-Jersey (to put on over sports bra/top - this IS a family event)
-Arm warmers (I'm not thinking it's going to be toasty at 8:30a)
-HELMET (even more important than the sunglasses)
-Running shoes
-Running socks (yes, I'll change. Yes, I'm special)
-Running shorts (you run 26 miles with padding on your butt and tell me how it feels)
-Running shirt (after 112 miles, I'm going to just want to be in different clothes, ok?)
-Visor (ditch the sunglasses, it'll get dark soon)
-Long-sleeve shirt (with dark comes cold)
-Compression Calf Sleeves - Leg warmers of the 80's have grown up. These are fairly tight (read: I'm lucky that blood still gets to my toes) sleeves that go from my knees down to my ankles. They help with a number of things - most notably helping me stay vertical for 26 miles. They're red, and they just look damn cool. (I have socks, too, but the sleeves allow me to wear cushier socks and still get the compression on my calves, shins and post-tibs)
-Body Glide (run 26 miles with my body and DON'T chafe w/o assistance....yeah, right)
-editor's note: this is NOT the tawdry lubricant you're all thinking of - that starts with "Astro". This is some scientifically engineered, deodorant-looking magical stuff that keeps things or parts of your body from rubbing holes in other parts of your body. I will be liberally coated in this stuff from my neck to my ankles (and many points in between) both at the beginning of the day and prior to running.
-Gu2o - (my energy drink of choice in powdered form. I will most likely have enough of this to power a small city throughout the day. At ~100 calories/16oz, and me shooting for about 20 oz/hr.....and 3 scoops/20 oz bottle...that's a lotta powder folks. Approximately 39 scoops worth over the course of the day...)
-Gu (my energy gel of choice - another calorie-efficient package that comes in a multitude of "yummy" flavors. So they're slightly less disgusting than eating cardboard. Again will be consuming 1/hr, I can plan on consuming around 13 or 14 of these. Tri Berry, Orange Burst, Vanilla Bean, Blueberry Pomagranate....)
-PBJ - my special needs go-to. The only time I like PB&J's is when I'm training, oddly enough. I'll have one ready for consumption halfway through the bike and again halfway through the run.

These are the big things that I'm hoping to remember. Believe me, there is more and I have plenty of time to forget to pack the vast majority of it between now and then.

As a triathlete, you have to accept very early on that you are OK with looking completely ridiculous for long periods of time and eating things that could also be used as super glue. (Gu is nothing less than permanent once in contact with another surface. I swear they use it on space shuttles...)

As I think about it, I have most of the above things and haven't really had to acquire most of them new for this particular race. It's a fairly standard list for most races (minus the PBJ and large quanities of Gu products). Stay tuned, the more entertaining list that might get written is what has been acquired new just for this endeavor. Let's just say I'm keeping a certain bike shop in business and there are marketing teams out there that I shall curse forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment